Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes)

Original Recipe at: http://www.twotwentyone.net/2011/12/traditional-christmas-treat-peanut/


Ingredients:
3 c. crisped rice cereal (measure out, then crush)
2 c. smooth peanut butter
3/4 c. butter, room temperature
3 3/4 c. powdered sugar1 pound of melting chocolate or the like.

Directions:

Measure rice cereal and place in bowl.  Crush rice cereal with a masher.  Add powdered sugar to rice cereal and set aside.  Mix peanut butter and butter in a separate, large bowl.  Add crushed cereal and powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and mix well.  Refrigerate the final mixture for 1 to 2 hours, then roll into balls.  Chill balls while melting the chocolate (or chocolate candy bark).  Dip chilled balls into melted chocolate, and then place balls onto wax paper.  Put completed balls in the frig to set.  After set, keep balls in an airtight container in the frig.


Note: I highly suggest using Peter Pan peanut butter.  I’ve used other kinds of peanut butter with this recipe, but PP is my favorite.


Another note: I recommend putting the peanut butter mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours before rolling.  If you find that the balls aren’t rolling very well and seem to be sticky, add a little more powdered sugar and crushed cereal.


Hot Mama Notes: I used my regular creamy Jif peanut butter, which I love, and the recipe turned out fine.  I liked the crushed cereal.  It gave the balls a nice crunch.  However, I did find the recipe to be a bit sweet for my liking.  It could have done with a lot less powdered sugar and still have been equally delicious!  I used chocolate candy bark instead of chocolate chips, as that chocolate sets better and makes less mess (and holds it's form much better, too.).

Hot Mama Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment