Sunday, March 24, 2019

Butternut Squash Soup

Originally posted at: 




Ingredients:

1.5T butter

1/2 onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic

2 sprigs fresh thyme

1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes

4 cups chicken stock

1/2 cube chicken bouillon

1 pinch ground cumin

1 pinch ground allspice

salt and ground black pepper to taste


Directions:

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat; cook the onion, garlic, and thyme in the hot butter until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and chicken stock; bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Crumble the bouillon into the soup; season with cumin, allspice, salt, and pepper; remove from heat.
Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway. Hold the lid of the blender in place with a kitchen towel and carefully start the blender using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a serving bowl. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup in the pot.

Hot Mama Grade: B+

Hot Mama Notes: This soup is good. I like it's flavor even though I want able to replicate the exact ingredients. I only had one 14.5 oz can of chicken broth, so the balance of the 4c was water. I also had no bouillon cubes. Despite this, I feel the soup was tasty. I think it you make it as directed, it probably has a richer flavor. Also, I used the whole butternut squash, not just half. And I cooked it first in the microwave because I find it easier to scoop out cooked squash than to peel and cube raw squash to Sautee (that sounds like a nightmare!). I also didn't have fresh thyme so I used dried. I sprinkled some in. I probably used too much (oops). It definitely has a strong thyme flavor. In the future I would try to make it as directly so less thymey and younger with hair a squash (or more broth). Otherwise, this is a good simple, easy, relatively quicj recipe that I plan to make again. :). I also used olive oil to Sautee the onion & garlic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment