Friday, November 25, 2016

Cranberry Relish with Apple

Originally from: Party Vegan Cookbook



Ingredients:
1 - 12 oz package fresh cranberries
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 c light brown sugar
1/2 t  grated fresh ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T pomegranate molasses
2 T water

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the cranberries pop and the apple is tender, about 15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

2. Transfer to a serving owl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.  This relish can be made several hours in advance but tastes best if eaten on the same day that it is made.

Hot Mama Notes: I used Italian Wine Vinegar for the balsamic.  I used regular molasses.  I used a pinch of ground ginger in lieu of the fresh ginger.  I used a honeycrisp apple.  Next time, I think I will simmer for less time than listed.  The end result was very thick, almost like a jam.  We liked this recipe, it is very tasty.  I think it tastes best fresh and hot.  My husband thought this was like a cranberry tart filling.  I would make it again.

Hot Mama Grade: A-




No comments:

Post a Comment