Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

Originally from the America's Test Kitchen Cookbook called Slow Cooker Revolution.

Also, a google search showed the recipe here: http://aspiringkitchenadventures.blogspot.com/2012/04/chicken-curry-in-hurry.html


Note that the above picture is from the blog listed above.

2 onions, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
3 lb chicken thighs
12 ounces plum tomatoes, chopped 
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 c fresh cilantro
lime, cut into wedges

Add oil, onion, jalapenos, garlic, ginger and curry powder to a microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave 5 minutes or until onions are soft.

Transfer to mixture to slow cooker.

To slow cooker, add chickpeas, water and coconut milk. Stir and nestle the chicken in the mixture.

Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.

Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred. Return chicken to cooker. Stir in tomatoes, raisins and peas. Cook about 15 more minutes.

Serve over brown rice or quinoa. Garnish with cilantro and lime.

Hot Mama Notes: Note that this is not a quick and easy crock pot recipe.  It's not unreasonable or anything, but it did take me an hour to get everything ready to put in the crock pot this morning.  I was hoping to decrease that slightly by having everything out and ready last night, but I didn't chop since I wanted everything fresh.  

I used regular raisins as the grocery store was out of golden.  I used chicken breasts instead of thighs.  I did not put in the lime or cilantro.  I meant to put in the cilantro, but forgot at the end.  I have decided that grating ginger sucks, and that from now on I will only mince it using the chopper - SO much easier.

Okay, dinner is over and our review is.... eh.  This curry is good but not great.  And with the amount of work it takes to make, my husband and I concur that the mediocre result is not worth replicating in the future.  Alas! 

Grade: B


A scan of the original recipe from the cookbook:

No comments:

Post a Comment