Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Peanutbutter Graham Cracker Sandwiches

I made my own recipe adapted from these two:

http://sprinklesomesunshine.blogspot.com/2012/08/peanut-butter-sandwich-treat-party.html

and

http://picky-palate.com/2011/06/30/chocolate-peanut-butter-sandwiches-from-disneyland/print/

I used:

1c milk chocolate chips melted with 1 T shortening.
1 c creamy peanutbutter 
1 c powdered sugar
Graham Crackers, halved

I used as many graham crackers as were needed to use up the filling.  I cannot recall if I used 3c or 2c of peanutbutter, but whatever I used it was too much.  I also skipped also the refrigeration steps because I was in a rush, which is also a mistake.  So, my sandwiches were a sloppy mess, but tasty!  ;)  I put them in the freezer to harden them up.  I am not sure I would make these again.  They are a bit of work and very messy.  Plus, they are super rich.  I would almost rather just have chocolate covered PB balls or chocolate PB Bars.  

Hot Mama Grade: B


Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich…Picky Palate’s Version

  • 3 cups good quality chopped milk chocolate
  • 4 tablespoons shortening
  • 12 halved graham crackers
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
Directions
    1. Melt chocolate and shortening over a double boiler, stirring to melt.  I use a small saucepan, boil water, reduce heat to low and place a heat proof bowl over the saucepan then add my chocolate, stirring until melted.
    2. Dip each graham cracker into chocolate and let set up on wax or parchment paper.  Stick in the freezer for a few minutes to speed this up.  Spread 2 tablespoons (or a cookie scoopful) of peanut butter over the top of each dipped graham cracker then place in the freezer for 10 more minutes.  This step is important.   While the peanut butter is freezing, remove chocolate from heat and stir, so it cools slightly and thickens up a touch. Slowly and carefully spoon melted chocolate over tops and sides of peanut butter.  This is where the patience and work comes in.  Use a small spoon working the chocolate around the edges and sides.  You’ll then use a little plastic knife to run the chocolate around the edges and clean it up a little.  Let set up, (stick back in the freezer for another 10 minutes) then with a spoon, drizzle chocolate over top to get the “lines” you see in the pictures above.  (If your chocolate is too thick at this point, set it back over the double boiler so it melts a little bit).
    3. My reviews…Definitely keep these chilled just like Disneyland does, they melt rather quickly once your fingers get on them.  It was tricky to get mine to look quite as pretty as the Disneyland ones, but with a little patience you can do it!  Have fun and keep them chilled!
    Makes 12 sandwiches



    Peanut Butter Sandwich Treat
    makes 6 treats

    6 graham crackers
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Chocolate for dipping (I used chocolate Candiquik today) but you could also use the chocolate chip/shortening combo (12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips & 2 tablespoons shortening, melted together).

    1.  Mix peanut butter, powdered sugar & vanilla with a fork in a bowl & stick it in the freezer to firm up a bit.


    2. Melt chocolate (Candiquik melts beautifully in the microwave) & brush one side of the graham crackers with melted chocolate using a pastry brush. 
    3. Scoop peanut butter mixture on top of chocolate side of the graham crackers. I used about 2 tablespoons of pb mixture per cracker. Spread pb evenly to edges of cracker.

    4. Place crackers in freezer for a bit to firm up the pb.

    5. Reheat the chocolate if needed. Dip the pb graham crackers into chocolate. I set them in the bowl of melted chocolate, one at a time, & spooned the melted chocolate over the top. Then lift the cracker out of chocolate with a fork & tapped the fork on the side of the bowl so extra chocolate drips off into the bowl. 

    6. Place on waxed paper or parchment paper & allow chocolate to set up. I drizzled extra melted chocolate over the top. Store in refrigerator & serve very cold.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment