Thursday, September 25, 2014

Red Lentil Soup

Original Recipe at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-Soup-with-Lemon/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=red%20lentils&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

Ingredients:


















Directions:

  1. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion has turned golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of chili powder. Cook and stir 2 minutes more until the spices are fragrant.
  2. Stir in the chicken broth, lentils, and carrot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
  3. Pour half of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Do not puree all of the soup, leave it a little chunky.
  4. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, then season to taste with salt. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of chili powder to serve.

Hot Mama Notes: This soup is very tasty!  I made the following changes to it.  I didn't have any tomato paste, so I used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes instead.  I know, not really a similar substitution given the volume!  To compensate, I used 1.5 cups of lentils to suck up all the extra fluid.  This worked really well.  Plus, I used two 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth instead of a 32 oz box, so some of the extra liquid went there, too.  :)  I never did add the lemon juice or cilantro at the end, even though I had both items.  I did not put anything in the blender since I am lazy.  I don't mind a chunkier soup.  This soup is very good.  I will definitely make it again!!! :)  Easy and tasty and healthy, you just can't beat that!! :)

Hot Mama Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment